Based in Minneapolis, I’m producing the online video program 3-Minute Egg, which highlights current work from Twin Cities performing and visual artists, and the podcast Metal Brainiac, featuring serious interviews with major and emerging heavy metal artists.
In June 2013, I left the Twin Cities to join WCPO-TV in Cincinnati as an arts reporter on the station’s new digital team (my work appeared almost exclusively online). Through video and written articles, I produced enterprise stories, features and occasional opinion columns on a range of artists and arts happenings throughout WCPO’s tri-state coverage area. I returned to the Twin Cities in late 2015.
Before moving to Cincinnati, I spent 16 years in the Twin Cities—10 of them as a staff writer for the St. Paul Pioneer Press. You can read some of my self-selected best written work here. In addition to my own ventures in online publishing, I worked for a year as managing editor of Walker Art Center’s magazine and, more recently, served in management as a Regional Editor in Minnesota with Patch.com.
Since leaving the Pioneer Press, I’m most proud of founding three groundbreaking websites:
- In 2008, I launched 3-Minute Egg—the first daily video program focusing on a community arts scene. Metro Magazine, in its “Best of 2009” issue, called 3-Minute Egg “online journalism done right.” I single-handedly produced more than 330 videos for the web and 26 half-hour episodes of 3-Minute Egg for Twin Cities Public Television. I shelved the program with other work commitments and relaunched 3-Minute Egg in January 2016.
- In 2013, I launched Opine Season (OpineSeason.com), an online community op-ed page featuring slam poets, artists, activists and educators I recruited to join me as weekly columnists.
- At the same time, in September 2012, I launched MNuet, an online magazine devoted to classical music in the Twin Cities. (MNuet no longer exists and the URL now belongs to another site).
Among other projects:
- In May 2015, I launched Metal Brainiac, a weekly audio podcast for smart, discerning heavy metal fans.
- In October 2012, I self-produced “God Votes No,” a 45-minute video documentary about voices of faith supporting marriage equality in Minnesota.
- In 2006, I wrote and published a parody of self-help books called “Positive MEinforcement: Shout ‘Me First’ and Make Every Day All About You!”
I’ve won regional writing awards from the Society of Professional Journalists, the Associated Press and the California Newspaper Publishers Association. As a freelance video producer, I’ve created work for HGA Architects and Engineers, Lifetime Fitness’ Experience Life Magazine, the University of Minnesota’s Department of Art, the Saint Paul Chamber Orchestra, Cowles Center for Dance, the Loft Literary Center, VocalEssence and even an order of nuns. As a freelance writer, I’ve contributed several political essays to CommonDreams.org and the Minneapolis Star-Tribune, and I penned dozens of cover stories, features and reviews throughout the 1990s for Modern Drummer Magazine.
I share a house with my amazing girlfriend and Labs named Willow and Wellstone.